Wondering what to serve with scallops? Here are 27 delicious ideas for side dishes, sauces, appetizers and complementary main courses to help you plan a complete meal. Great options for a special occasion or easy weeknight dinner!
Scallops are so versatile and pair well with everything from fresh vegetables and salads to pasta, potatoes and rice to steak and other seafood. I selected a variety of seasonal, healthy recipes so you have the best options to choose from that go well with scallops throughout the year.
And if you're a seafood lover like us, be sure to check out this delicious roundup of 23 side dishes to serve with shrimp!
How many scallops should you serve?
If you’re serving scallops as a main course with sides, plan on around 6 ounces per person. That would be 4-6 large (U10) sea scallops and 8-10 medium sized. Appetizer portions would be half of that. Sea scallops, or diver scallops, are the large variety while bay scallops are the smallest.
What do scallops taste like?
Scallops are in the mollusk family of seafood, like clams, mussels and oysters. If this is your first time trying a scallop, you can expect a slightly sweet, buttery flavor with a soft, delicate texture that’s more tender than other mollusks.
- Best Ideas to Serve with Scallops
- Filet Mignon Rosemary Skewers
- French Onion Smashed Potatoes
- Peach Caprese Pancetta Stacks
- Roasted Cherry Tomato & White Bean Hummus
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini Bites
- Vegan Carrot Curry Soup
- Roasted Corn and Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho
- Brussel Sprouts Pomegranate Salad
- Citrus Salad with Avocado & Goat Cheese
- Charred Broccolini & White Bean Salad
- Grilled Summer Corn with Manchego & Lime
- Balsamic Roasted Green Vegetables
- Cider Glazed Butternut Squash & Sweet Potatoes
- Veggie Stuffed Portobellos
- Lemon Caper Pasta
- Linguine with Shrimp Scampi & Arugula
- Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
- Mediterranean Rice Stuffed Tomatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes with Leeks & Fennel
- Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Roasted Beef Tenderloin
- Mocha-Rubbed Sirloin Steak & Spinach Salad
- Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes
- Adobo Shrimp Skewers with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Creamy Green Herb Sauce
- Cilantro Pistachio Pesto
- Roasted Beet Puree
Best Ideas to Serve with Scallops
Appetizers to Pair with Scallops
If you’re planning a cocktail party or looking to make a dinner of finger foods, you can’t go wrong with these winning choices!
Soup & Salads
These soup and salad ideas can be served as an appetizer before the main event or right alongside your plate of scallops as delicious and healthy side dishes.
Vegetable Side Dishes
Choose your favorites of these prep-ahead sides for a quick and easy scallop dinner.
Pasta, Potatoes & Rice
Looking for heartier fare that goes well with scallops? Any of these comforting, flavorful recipes are a great choice without being overpowering.
Steak & Seafood
Here are complementary main course ideas to create a surf n’ turf combo or an exceptional seafood spread.
Scallops are certainly delicious enough to stand on their own, but these sauces will have you searching for adjectives.
Do you drink red or white wine with scallops?
Now it's time to decide what to uncork! Scallops are delicate and mild in flavor so it’s best not to pair them with full-bodied reds. I love chardonnay with scallops to complement their creamy, buttery texture.
But if you prefer something lighter and crisp, pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc and sparkling wines are great options. Cheers!
I hope you have fun planning your scallop happy hour, easy dinner or exquisite feast! Be sure to leave a rating and comment at the end of the post if you tried any of the recipes!
This page may contain affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!