Wondering what to serve with shepherd’s pie? Here are 17 of the best side dishes to go with shepherd’s pie and will keep this hearty casserole the star of the show. From bread recipes to fresh vegetables to greens and salads, you’ll have great options to create an amazing menu!
Our family loves digging into traditional shepherd’s pie full of tender lamb and vegetables bathing in a red wine gravy and blanketed in creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes. Homey comfort food at its finest!
Our Pub-Style Irish Shepherd’s Pie uses diced lamb leg as the base of the meat mixture, but you can easily use ground lamb. When using ground beef the dish is known as cottage pie and all the sides included here work seamlessly for any type of meat pie.
- Best Sides for Shepherd’s Pie
- Irish Soda Bread
- Condensed Milk Bread
- Yorkshire Pudding
- Glazed Carrots
- Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash
- Baked Beans
- Balsamic Roasted Green Beans and Brussels Sprouts
- Irish Cabbage and Bacon
- Orange Avocado and Goat Cheese Salad
- Mushy Peas
- Corn Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Eggplant
- Sautéed Swiss Chard
- Lemon Artichokes
- Creamy Parsnip Puree
- Dinner Rolls
- Shepherd’s Pie Tips
- More Side Dish Recipe Collections!
Best Sides for Shepherd’s Pie
The next time you’re having the gang over and deciding what to eat with shepherd’s pie, you’ll have a variety of delicious sides to choose from. And all recipes include the time it takes to make so you can plan accordingly.
These are easy and delicious recipes balancing heavy sides with lighter vegan, gluten-free and keto-friendly options. All of which will keep your taste buds happy.
Shepherd’s Pie Tips
I hope these side dish ideas struck a chord and got the culinary gears turning! Here I’ve included tips on making homemade shepherd’s pie to keep in mind no matter the recipe. But if you’re looking for a tried-and-true Irish Shepherd’s Pie, this one’s for you.
- Let filling cool and thicken up before spreading mashed potatoes on top so they don’t sink.
- Make sure your mash is fluffy. Firm mash is hard to spread.
- The filling can be made one day ahead of assembling, but not the mashed potatoes. They will be impossible to spread if refrigerated.
- Place casserole dish or ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any stew that may bubble over while baking. You don’t want to have to clean the oven after.
More Side Dish Recipe Collections!
🌟Love this roundup? Please leave a review in the Comments section below!
Remember to PIN this Roundup to Save the Recipes for Later!