Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado and Goat Cheese! A bright, beautiful salad showcasing seasonal cara cara and blood oranges tossed with mixed baby greens in a sweet and tangy orange honey vinaigrette.
Life is all about balance in my book so after some weekend indulging, I’m always ready for healthier fare by Monday. Not that I go crazy on weekends, but a Chick-fil-A stop is usually inevitable. I’ll pass on the milkshakes but will never deny the fries. Life’s too short.😉
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado and Goat Cheese
For the base of the salad I used a blend of baby lettuces which you can easily sub in your favorite greens. I’m a huge fan of citrus except for grapefruit so you’ll never find them in a recipe on this site. They’re so pretty and I want to like them but their flavor just makes me cringe. If you like them, go for it!
I stuck with two of my favorites, cara cara and blood oranges. Nothing against the navel but these two stand out for a few reasons. Read on!
You probably walked right by them in the grocery store, as they are unassuming, having the same bright rind as their navel cousins. Next time, note the labeled crate, and grab a bag or two.
Here’s what sets them apart:
- their flesh – a distinct coral color
- their taste – less acidic and much sweeter with a subtle tang the navel doesn’t offer
- they’re seedless. Need I say more!?
As for blood oranges, their exterior is distinguished by a crimson-kissed rind. They thrive in environments that are cool at night which develops the anthocyanins giving the orange its distinct maroon flesh. They originated in the southern Mediterranean and are now the primary orange grown in Italy.
Here’s what else sets them apart:
- their sweet flavor with overtones of raspberries and strawberries
- they contain up to 40 percent more vitamin C than navels and other sweet oranges
- rich in antioxidants due to the anthocyanins, which other oranges don’t have
- they’re seedless too!
This is such a delicious, quick and easy, healthy salad you can pull together in minutes. By all means add a protein to if you like, sub in a different cheese, or add more fruit. Enjoy eating the rainbow, friends!
More Plant-Based Recipes to Check Out!
- BBQ Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- Red Wine Braised Lentils with Spinach
- Pumpkin Chickpea Chili
- Creamy Curried Carrot Soup
- Mushroom Stuffed Portobellos
- and more!
Essential Kitchen Tools
Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado and Goat Cheese
- ⅓ cup fresh or store-bought orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cara cara oranges
- 2 blood oranges
- 5 ounces mixed baby greens
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 small avocado, pitted and sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in evoo. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. (Can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.)
- With a sharp knife, cut off rind and pith from oranges. Slice them crosswise. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, half of the orange slices, red onion, raisins, pine nuts and goat cheese.
- Drizzle in just enough dressing to coat; do not soak. Reserve extra dressing to pass separately or save for another use.
- Arrange remaining orange slices and avocado on top. Serve with extra dressing on the side. Enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!