These Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables are a caramelized medley of sweet potatoes, acorn squash, carrots, parsnips, and red onion. A delicious, vegan and gluten-free side perfect for fall and winter gatherings.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and you’ll want this culinary collision of fall faves on the menu. This dish is simply a matter of some chopping, which can be done ahead. Nothing against the turkey but when it comes to filling my plate, it’s all about the sides.😉
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
Making Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables
For starters, go in the root veggie direction your gang likes best. In addition to what I’ve included here, butternut or kabocha squash, turnips, beets, rutabagas, and white potatoes are easy considerations.
Regardless of your choices, give those colorful chunks a quick toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and a generous dash of fresh thyme. All you need now is an extra-large sheet pan to pile it all on.
In just 40-45 minutes, you’ll have tender, caramelized veggies with perfectly crisped edges just waiting to grace your table.
This recipe truly showcases autumn’s bounty and is a great addition to any holiday buffet. Our make-ahead Carrot Top Cashew Pesto is the perfect finishing touch. Happy cooking!
Check out more delicious side dish recipes!
- Potato Leek & Fennel Gratin
- Roasted Green Vegetables
- Winter Citrus Salad w/ Avocado & Goat Cheese
- Cider Glazed Sweet Potatoes & Squash
- Balsamic Roasted Green Vegetables
- Mushroom Stuffed Portobellos
- Slow Cooker Soda Baked Beans
Essential kitchen tools used in this recipe!
Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ¼-inch cubes
- ¾ lb carrots, peeled and cut into ¾-inch rounds
- ¾ lb parsnips, peeled and cut into ¾-inch rounds
- 1 acorn squash, unpeeled, seeded, cut into 1 ¼-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, peeled, with root end left intact cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an extra-large, rimmed baking sheet, or 2 smaller ones, with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, acorn squash, and red onion in a large bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, syrup, and thyme. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread vegetables on prepared pan(s). Roast 40-45 minutes until vegetables are softened and browned, stirring 2-3 times while in the oven.
- Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Serve with Carrot Top Cashew Pesto.
*Republished post with updated photos. Adapted from Bon Appétit, November 2002.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!