These Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables are a medley of caramelized sweet potatoes, acorn squash, carrots, parsnips, and red onion finished with Carrot Top Cashew Pesto!
Thanksgiving prep just got easier with this make ahead and reheat side dish. Other than some peeling and chopping, it’s a breeze to pull together.
All those colorful chunks get a quick toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a little honey, and a generous dash of fresh thyme.
In just 40-45 minutes, you’ll have tender, caramelized veggies with perfectly crisped edges just waiting to grace your table.
This recipe truly showcases autumn’s bounty and is a great addition to any holiday buffet. Our make-ahead Carrot Top Cashew Pesto is the perfect finishing touch. Enjoy!
Check out more awesome side dish recipes!
- Roasted Chickpea Salad with Avocado & Feta
- Potato Leek & Fennel Gratin
- Roasted Green Vegetables
- Sweet Potato Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- Mushroom Stuffed Portobellos
- Baby Potato & Green Bean Salad
- Slow Cooker Soda Baked Beans
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
Essential kitchen tools used in this recipe!
- Extra-large rimmed sheet pan
- 7-inch Santoku Knife – a sharp knife makes chopping a breeze
- BPA-free Cutting Boards
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!
Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ¼-inch cubes
- ¾ lb carrots, peeled and cut into ¾-inch rounds
- ¾ lb parsnips, peeled and cut into ¾-inch rounds
- 1 acorn squash, unpeeled, seeded, cut into 1 ¼-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, peeled, with root end left intact cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an extra-large, rimmed baking sheet, or 2 smaller ones, with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, acorn squash, and red onion in a large bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, honey, and thyme. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread vegetables on prepared pan(s). Roast 40-45 minutes until vegetables are softened and browned, stirring 2-3 times while in the oven.
- (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm at 350°F for 10-15 minutes.) Serve with Carrot Top Cashew Pesto.
*Adapted from Bon Appétit, November 2002