These Baked Zucchini Bites are a go-to appetizer for any occasion, and Mother’s Day is quickly approaching! Hint, hint… All ingredients are combined at once, making it super easy and quick to prepare. Even better, they can be made ahead and frozen!
This recipe has been in the family for decades. I made a few tweaks along the way but overall why mess with a good thing. Plus, it’s truly a breeze to whip up. One bowl, one spatula, one baking dish. Done.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
Making Baked Zucchini Bites
Heck, you can even chop your veggies the day before to slash the day-of prep time. Using a handheld mandoline to slice the zucchini is a major time-saver even if you’re proficient with a knife.
Just a handful of herbs and spices give the dish just the right amount of pizzazz. Cajun seasoning adds a subtle kick, and marjoram lends a grassy, lemony flavor that’s sweeter than oregano.
Fresh parsley, garlic powder and salt also play a role. You can always add some ham, bacon or your favorite sausage as well if keeping things vegetarian isn’t a priority.
Once your mixture is all combined and happy, it’s simply spread into a casserole dish to bake off. The filling becomes puffy and light, with a golden crust, while the vegetables stay firm yet tender.
Goldilocks results, just right. 🙂
In the last five minutes of baking, you can always sprinkle on a little more parm to enhance the crusty top. When cool enough to handle, we like to cut them into smaller pieces for appetizers, or carve out larger portions for a tasty side dish.
This is such a great accompaniment to holiday buffets throughout the year, and great to have on hand for unplanned get togethers. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for more delicious vegetarian appetizers, check these out!
- French Onion Smashed Potato Bites
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips with Avocado Lime Dip
- Roasted Tomato Garlic & White Bean Hummus
- Mushroom Stuffed Portobellos with Feta
- Blistered Cherry Tomato & Grape Galette
- Grilled Tomato Gazpacho
Essential kitchen tools used in this recipe
Baked Zucchini Bites
- 4 cups zucchini, ¼-inch half-moon slices
- 1 cup Bisquick mix
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9 casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients with a spatula until well combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges and set in the center.
- Let cool 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm. Enjoy!
*Republished post with updated photos.
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!