So you’ve cooked your carrots, but not quite sure what to do with all those dark, leafy greens? Whip up this 8-ingredient Carrot Top Cashew Pesto! It’s a cinch to make, great on steak, chicken, chops, pasta, veggies, you name it. Just pull out a scroll!
Pestos are perfect for experimenting with ingredient combinations you may not have considered before. Carrots’ delicate greens are herbaceous, earthy, slightly bitter and taste, well, a bit like carrots. They have a unique flavor that pairs beautifully with fresh herbs like parsley and thyme.
Garlic, lemon, parmesan and olive oil are usual pesto suspects that are in the line up. Toasted cashews add a fragrant depth of rich, nutty flavor. This is such a complementary bunch you’ll want to make a double batch to freeze to always have some on hand.
You can’t go wrong with making delicious use of something you may have otherwise tossed. Spread it, mix it, spoon or drizzle it over whatever you’re dishing up. Enjoy!
Carrot Top Cashew Pesto
- 2 cups fairly packed carrot top greens, leaves only
- ½ cup fairly packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup toasted cashews, roughly chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine carrot greens, parsley, thyme, garlic, parmesan cheese, cashews, lemon juice and zest in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times to combine mixture. Scrape sides with a spatula.
- With machine running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Continue to pulse for desired texture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes approximately 1 cup. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)