The wind is howling and Old Man Winter is settling in. Good thing we have this Creamy Vegan Curried Carrot Soup to keep us warm. In addition to its vibrant color, velvety texture, and fabulous taste, it’s gluten-free and freezer friendly!
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
I initially had this soup during a girls’ getaway at the Woodloch Lodge & Spa in the Poconos. All eight of us gave it two thumbs up so re-creating it here was a no-brainer.
We praised Chef Brady for sharing the basics of this recipe during a fun cooking demo. His version made a whopping 30-35 servings. Since we’re not feeding Woodloch, I whittled it down to a more manageable 6-8 servings with a few tweaks along the way.
The bisque’s foundation is the classic mirepoix (meer-pwah) combination of onion, carrots, and celery. The standard ratio is 2 parts onion to 1 part each carrots and celery. Here, however, carrots are the heavy favorite, with onion and celery tagging along.
If the thought of peeling a bunch of carrots sounds daunting, then don’t. You really don’t need to when they’re cooked down and pureed. Most of carrots’ nutrients are in the outer layer and just beneath the skin, so leave them be. Give ’em a good rinse, and you’re good to go.
To keep the recipe vegan, rice milk and coconut milk replace habitually-used cream. Cream adds richness but does little for flavor. Coconut milk, on the other hand, does its job incognito by lending a subtle sweetness to the caramelized carrots, and balancing the curry.
Once the mixture has simmered and the carrots are nice and soft, break out the blender and get pureeing.
TIP of the DAY – when working with hot liquids, do not fill the blender more than halfway, and partially cover the hole in the lid with a dishtowel to allow steam to escape.
You can ladle the soup into bowls as a main course or ‘soup course’, or in shooters if serving a crowd. No matter the serving size, have fun garnishing! I used leafy carrot greens, sliced green onions, chopped pistachios and coconut cream. Enjoy!
More Curry Recipes to Try…
Creamy Vegan Curried Carrot Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (may use vegetable, canola or olive oil)
- 2 lbs carrots, well-rinsed, peeled or unpeeled, sliced in ½-inch coins (4-5 cups)
- 1 ½ cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 quart rice milk
- 1 13.5- ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, regular or lite
- ½ cup carrot juice or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: leafy carrot greens, sliced green onions, finely chopped pistachios, coconut cream
- Heat coconut oil in a 5-quart, high-rimmed saucepan or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté stirring occasionally until vegetables soften, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and curry powder; cook 1 minute more, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice milk, coconut milk, and carrot or orange juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
- Working in 2-3 batches, puree the vegetables in a high-powered blender. Do not fill the blender more than halfway, and partially cover the hole in the lid with a dishtowel to allow steam to escape.
- Pour each batch of pureed bisque in another soup pot. Keep warm on medium-low heat.
- Once all the bisque is pureed stir in the syrup and ginger. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Can be made 2 days ahead. Let cool, cover, and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat when ready to serve. Serve hot with suggested garnishes, as desired.
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!