Happy Thai Thursday! This Vegan Thai Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Curry is a delicious marriage of butternut squash, pumpkin and apple in a rich and spicy curry sauce. Talk about a recipe that screams fall! It’s a healthy, quick and easy dinner perfect for any night of the week. This curry recipe epitomizes my love for combining veggies with fruit, and striking the perfect balance of sweet n’ spicy.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Thai Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Curry
This dish comes together in no time, so having all your vegetables chopped and ready to go makes life much easier, and is something you can do the night before.
Ingredients are added in fairly quick succession so you’ll want everything on standby once you fire up your skillet. If you don’t have at least a 12-inch skillet, you can always use a large pot or Dutch oven.
Once your skillet is nice and hot, cooking this curry takes just 30 minutes. You’ll have tender squash, apples, swiss chard, peppers and onion bathing in a boldly flavored pumpkin and coconut Thai sauce kissed with garlic and ginger.
You can totally amp up the spice or dial it back to whatever keeps your gang happy. We found two tablespoons of the Thai red curry paste to be the Goldilocks amount.😉
To serve it up, have some hot, steamy rice or Asian noodles ready to go. Get your garnish on with fresh basil, cilantro, green onion, a good squeeze of lime, and it’s time to dig in. Cheers, friends!! xx, Kim
More Mouthwatering Asian Inspo!
- Korean Chicken Bulgogi & Broccoli
- Asian Red Cabbage Slaw
- Roasted Halibut with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Asian Meatball Sliders with Spiced Pickles
- Sesame Beef Stir Fry with Asparagus & Sweet Potato
- Sheet Pan Salmon & Broccoli with Soy Mustard Glaze
Thai Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 yellow or green zucchini, chopped
- 1 large apple, unpeeled and chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 14- ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, whole or light
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 large red Swiss chard leaves, stemmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 cups steamed rice for serving
- Garnishes - sliced green onion, fresh cilantro and basil, extra lime wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add butternut squash to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes to start to caramelize, stirring frequently.
- Mix zucchini, apple, bell pepper, and onion into skillet with butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes until starting to soften, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and ginger. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in pumpkin and curry paste until all vegetables are thoroughly coated. Cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in coconut milk, vegetable broth and soy sauce. Stir to thoroughly combine, and bring to a bubbling simmer.
- Lower heat to medium and simmer uncovered 10-12 minutes.
- Add swiss chard a handful at a time until wilted into the curry mixture.
- Once all the swiss chard is added, stir in lime zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool, cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat.)
- Serve with steamed rice. Garnish with sliced green onions, fresh cilantro and basil, and an extra squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!