Slow Cooker Soda Baked Beans are sweet and saucy with a smidge of heat! It’s a stepped-up side perfect for summer picnics and year-round potlucks that will feed a crowd.
The next few posts I’m celebrating my dad who would’ve been turning 75 in less than two weeks. He loved all things food, but when it comes to having favorites, his was undoubtedly a three-way tie between steak, mashed potatoes, and baked beans. Mom would doctor up the beans when company was coming over, but otherwise they were Campbell’s straight out of the can, at least five times a week. Not kidding. And, no other brand would do. Campbell’s had dad’s full allegiance. I’d like to think he would approve of the liberties I’ve taken here as long as I included his beloved baked beans in the recipe, which of course I did. 🙂
The beauty of this slow cooker recipe is all of the ingredients go in at once, put on the lid, and forget about it. Now you have a good four hours to focus on other things.
This recipe sets itself apart with a quartet of beans, ham, red onion, garlic, and a blend of Coke and Sprite. The sodas, brown sugar, and molasses add the sweet, while cumin, curry powder and pinch of cayenne add the smoke and heat. Dial the spices up or down as you wish, but in the end you’ll have beans steeped in a syrupy, sweet n’ spicy sauce.
After a few hours all of those flavors will have fused deliciously. Baked beans and backyard barbeques go hand-in-hand. Bring on summer. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for more kicked-up, healthy side dishes, check out our:
Slow Cooker Soda Baked Beans
- 12 ounces cooked ham steak, ½-inch dice
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15- ounce can pork and beans, drained
- 1 15- ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup cola soda
- ½ cup lemon-lime soda
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook 4-6 hours* on low. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve. (Can be made a day ahead. Let cool then refrigerate. Rewarm on medium low before serving.)