Keep the barbecue fired up for these Grilled Shrimp and Chicken Skewers with Honey Sesame Glaze! Summer and skewers go hand-in-hand and you can assemble these keto-friendly, sweet n’ tangy kebabs ahead of time for a quick, easy, and delicious meal any day of the week.
There’s nothing like farmer’s market-fueled recipes combined with low-fat protein for a super scrump and healthy summer dinner. These skewers get that pop of color from sweet pineapple chunks, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers and red onion. And I must say grilled pineapple is absolutely addictive.
Remember to PIN a PHOTO to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Grilled Shrimp and Chicken Skewers
We’ll start with the Asian-inspired glaze which can be made a few days ahead and is super easy to whip up. It’s a blend of honey, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, freshly grated ginger, shallots, and garlic. You simply puree all ingredients in a blender until thick and smooth.
If you’re not already familiar with hoisin sauce, it is rich, thick and fragrant with a sweet, salty taste often described as Chinese barbecue sauce (left-most bowl in the photo below). You can easily substitute regular bbq sauce or ketchup as well.
Tips to Ensure Excellent Grilled Shrimp and Chicken Skewers:
- Cube the chicken to a size that will cook equally with the shrimp and veggies. See Recipe for details.
- I prefer using metal skewers, but bamboo skewers will work. Be sure to soak them in water 1 hour before assembling so they don’t burn.
- Assemble the skewers in your preferred pattern and drizzle about half of the glaze over top to caramelize on the grill.
- Grill the skewers over medium heat. If you crank up your rig too high, you’ll end up with tough shrimp and crusted chicken that’s inedible in the center. You don’t want to end up ordering pizza.?
- Should storms roll in have a 425°F oven on standby and roast for 12-15 minutes.
There’s nothing like a good, grill-marked sear. The shrimp should be just opaque and the chicken cooked through yet juicy. Let these beauties rest a few minutes to cool before serving.
Transfer them to a serving platter, and garnish with sesame seeds and fresh herbs of choice. Pass around the reserved glaze for the finishing touch. Hope you had a fun Fourth and deliciously enjoying a long weekend! Cheers, friends!!
Summery Dishes to Round Out the Menu
- Gingered Peach & Blueberry Mojitos
- Grilled Peach & Burrata Basil Crostini
- Blistered Cherry Tomato & Grape Galette
- Grilled Corn w/ Manchego and Lime
- Baby Potato & Green Bean Salad
- Grilled Cantaloupe Black Bean Salad
- No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
- Skillet Berry Cobbler
- High-powered blender
- 12-inch metal skewers or
- Bamboo skewers
- Extra-large rimmed sheet pan
- 7-inch Santoku knife
- BPA-free cutting boards
Grilled Shrimp and Chicken Skewers with Honey Sesame Glaze
- 12 12-inch metal skewers*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 24 extra-large shrimp (U21-25 count), peeled and deveined, tails left intact
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 24 1 ½-inch cubes
- 24 1-inch cubes of pineapple
- 24 zucchini slices, ½-inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 24 1-inch squares
- 24 3-layer sections of red onion wedges
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- Puree all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Makes about 1 ¼ cups. Set aside. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- On each skewer, thread 2 shrimp, 2 chicken cubes, 2 pineapple cubes, 2 zucchini slices, 2 bell pepper squares, 2 cherry tomatoes, and 2 red onion wedges in any pattern you like.
- Place skewers on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Pour half of the glaze over the skewers. (Can be prepped one day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before grilling.)
- Coat grill grates with nonstick spray or vegetable oil and preheat grill over medium.
- Grill skewers until shrimp are opaque in the center, and chicken is no longer pink, about 4 minutes per side. Let skewers rest a few minutes before serving.
- Arrange skewers on platter. Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh herbs, if desired. Serve with remaining glaze. Enjoy!
*Republished post with updated photos.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!