Land and sea come together deliciously in this hearty, Spanish-influenced Chicken Shrimp and Sausage Stew. Admittedly, the title sounds rather ordinary. Rest assured, a bowl of this is anything but. It's a delicious, gluten-free, one-pot meal ready in less than an hour.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make this Hearty Stew
This is a flavorful one-pot wonder you can make-ahead for game days and casual dinners when entertaining. Things start off by browning the chicken and sausage then the veggies get their turn. Once they're softened and happy, lots of garlic and spices are cooked a couple minutes until fragrant. White wine is then poured in to deglaze the pot and make sure no bit of deliciousness is left behind.
Diced tomatoes with their juices and chicken broth are added for the ingredients to simmer in. Once the chicken is cooked through, plump shrimp and sun-dried tomatoes go in at the end. When the shrimp are opaque in the center you're good to go. Serve up bowls of this good mood, comfort food with crusty bread or steamed rice to keep it gluten-free. Enjoy!
More Mouthwatering One Pot Wonders!
Chicken Shrimp and Sausage Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo or andouille sausage*, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 small or 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 ½ cups low-salt chicken broth
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
- 1½ pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add chicken to pot to brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to bowl with sausage. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of drippings.
- Add bell peppers, poblano, onion, and celery to pot. Sauté until softened, 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, paprika, thyme and cumin. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring often.
- Pour in wine to deglaze the pot and scrape up any brownings on the bottom. Cook 2 minutes.
- Return sausage, chicken, and accumulated juices to the pot. Stir in tomatoes with juices, chicken broth and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Stew can be prepared 1 day ahead at this point. Refrigerate until cold, then cover with lid and chill. Before continuing, bring to a simmer over medium heat.)
- Add shrimp and sun-dried tomatoes to the pot. Simmer until shrimp are just opaque in the center, 4-5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over grated parmesan and garnish with fresh oregano and thyme. Serve with crusty bread or steamed rice to soak up the juices. Enjoy!
*Adapted from Bon Appétit, February 1997
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!