Fire up the barbecue for these super flavorful Spicy Adobo Shrimp Skewers with Mango Avocado Salsa! Summer and skewers go hand-in-hand and you can assemble these gluten-free, keto-friendly kebabs ahead of time for a quick, easy and delicious meal any day of the week.
As my son’s high school graduation(s) approach (a virtual one next week and one in-person in July🤞), I’ve been noodling safe ways to serve food for appropriately-sized gatherings, and skewers were the first to come to mind. No need for highly-touched serving utensils! So as the gears continue to turn in this direction, I’ll be sharing more skewer combinations and other finger foods as well.😉
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Spicy Adobo Shrimp Skewers w/ Mango Avocado Salsa
We’ll start with the Mexican-inspired glaze which can be made a few days ahead and is super easy to whip up. It’s a blend of spicy adobo sauce, honey, olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin and salt. Whisk up in a bowl and done!
Pour about half of the mixture over the shrimp to marinate while prepping the other ingredients. The pineapple and bell pepper bring sweetness that pairs perfectly with the bite of red onion and poblano.
Also, what I love about skewers is they can be assembled hours in advance to minimize last minute stress of getting food on the table. When ready, preheat your rig on medium. No need for it to be crazy hot to get perfectly smoky grill marks. The shrimp should be just opaque in the center, and veggies and pineapple softened with a bit of char, too.
Note: Should storms creep up as you’re about to grill, preheat the oven to 400°F and roast the skewers 10-12 minutes. Hopefully the storms don’t cause power outages like the derecho that swept through here last week, leaving us powerless for two and a half days.😅
And about that Mango Avocado Salsa! Simply toss together as the skewers cool a little or make a couple hours in advance. The salsa is optional but definitely worth it. The sweet, creamy mango and avocado shine with a bit of honey, lime, jalapeno and cilantro. This salsa is crazy delish with the skewers and basically anything else you have coming off the grill.
When ready, arrange the skewers on a large platter, drizzle with reserved glaze, and garnish with fresh herbs of choice. Serve with the salsa, pour a cold one, and you’re ready to go! Hope you have a fun and delicious weekend planned! Cheers, friends!!
Skewer Recipes Already on the Blog
- Filet Mignon Rosemary Skewers
- Marinated Tortellini Skewers
- Chorizo and Baby Potato Skewers w/ Roasted Garlic Crème
- Chicken & Shrimp Skewers w/ Honey Sesame Glaze
And, Summery Recipes to Round Out the Menu
- Gingered Peach & Blueberry Mojitos
- Grilled Sweet Potato Fries w/ Cherry Corn Salsa
- Grilled Peach & Burrata Basil Crostini
- Blistered Cherry Tomato & Grape Galette
- Grilled Corn w/ Manchego and Lime
- Baby Potato & Green Bean Salad
- Grilled Cantaloupe Black Bean Salad
- No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
- Skillet Berry Cobbler
- 12-inch metal skewers or
- Bamboo skewers
- Extra-large rimmed sheet pan
- 7-inch Santoku knife
- BPA-free cutting boards
Spicy Adobo Shrimp Skewers with Mango Avocado Salsa
- 12 12-inch metal skewers*
- 1 ½ tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 48 extra-large shrimp (U21-25 count), peeled and deveined, tails left intact
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into 24 1-inch squares
- 1 large poblano pepper, cut into 24 1-inch squares
- 36 3- layer sections of red onion wedges
- 24 1- inch cubes of pineapple
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1 cup avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the adobo sauce, olive oil, honey, paprika, cumin and salt. Can be made a few days in advance. Cover and chill.
- Place shrimp in a resealable plastic bag or medium bowl. Pour about half of the adobo mixture over shrimp and gently toss until evenly coated. Reserve remaining glaze for serving. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes or refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.
- On each skewer, thread 4 shrimp, 2 bell pepper squares, 2 poblano pepper squares, 2 pineapple cubes, and 3 red onion wedges in any pattern you like.
- Place skewers on a large, rimmed baking sheet. (Can be assembled 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before grilling.)
- Coat grill grates with nonstick spray or vegetable oil and preheat grill over medium.
- Grill skewers until shrimp are opaque in the center, 3-4 minutes per side. Let skewers rest a few minutes before serving. (Alternatively, if weather acts up, preheat oven to 400°F and roast skewers 10-12 minutes.)
- Arrange skewers on platter. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Serve with remaining glaze and Mango Avocado Salsa. Enjoy!
- In a medium bowl, toss all ingredients together until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with Shrimp Skewers and anything else coming off the grill. It’s a delicious topping for any protein and, of course, with chips!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!