Festive Marinated Tortellini Skewers! A super easy and delicious, make-ahead appetizer of three-cheese tortellini, fresh mozzarella and peppers marinated in a zesty lemon vinaigrette.
I know I’m supposed to sound like I have the holidays totally under control, but ahem, not a chance.
About 20% of the shopping is done, with our 16-yr-old son being the most difficult. “Mom, I don’t need anything. I don’t want anything.”
Yet, there’s no way he’d be happy coming down Christmas morning to a puny pile of meaningless gifts under the tree. Am I right?!? Our 13-yr-old daughter, on the other hand had no problem coming up with a list. No surprise there.
Thankfully these Festive Marinated Tortellini Skewers will help make menu planning easy!
Festive Marinated Tortellini Skewers
This recipe has been adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Of Tide & Thyme, compiled by the Junior League of Annapolis, MD. It’s dog-eared pages are well-splattered from years of use, just as a fave cookbook should look.
Once you’ve done the chopping, this pasta salad comes together quickly. I like to make the vinaigrette while the water for the tortellini comes to a boil so it’s ready when the pasta is done. Then add the hot tortellini to the dressing so flavors will be absorbed.
Next it’s just a matter of tossing in the rest of the ingredients. However, hold off on adding the fresh mozzarella until the pasta is completely cooled so the cubes hold their shape and don’t melt.
Try to let the mixture marinate at least two hours if possible. Overnight is best.
And, if you’re strapped for time, you can skip the skewering and simply serve this as a scrumptious pasta salad. But skewering them up definitely adds a special touch, and who doesn’t love finger food?! Happy Holidays!
Be sure to check out more delicious and festive appetizers!
- French Onion Smashed Potato Bites
- Filet Mignon Rosemary Skewers
- Honey Roasted Pear & Brie Flatbread
- Festive Pomegranate Guacamole
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Flatbread
- Prosciutto Wrapped Marsala Glazed Shrimp
- Blistered Cherry Tomato & Grape Galette
- Baked Zucchini Bites
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
Essential kitchen tools used in this recipe…
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!
Festive Marinated Tortellini Skewers
- Juice of 2 lemons, zest of 1
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup softened sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 16 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch squares
- 1 large poblano pepper, cut into ½-inch squares
- ⅓ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 35-40 small basil leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook the tortellini in a pot of boiling water according to the package directions. Do not overcook.
- Drain the tortellini and add the hot pasta to the dressing so flavors will be absorbed.
- Gently stir in the peppers and green onions. When the pasta has cooled, add the mozzarella.
- Let the mixture marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To assemble, use toothpicks at least 4 inches long.
- Skewer 1 basil leaf, 1 red bell pepper square, 1 tortellini, 1 poblano pepper square and 1 mozzarella cube on the toothpicks. (Can be assembled 1 day ahead.)