Grilled Sweet Potato Fries topped with a sweet n' spicy Fresh Cherry Corn Salsa are here just in time for Labor Day Weekend! They're a delicious and healthy addition to your BBQ menu as an app or a side, and so perfect as a game day snack. They're vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
As usual summer goes by way too fast and I want to make the most of all the mouthwatering produce before it's gone. Combining the fresh cherries and corn in a salsa was the perfect topping for the charred sweet potatoes.
While I love regular fries and roasted potato wedges, I have an extra weakness when it comes to sweet potatoes and they hold up just as well on the grill.
The truth of the matter is you can get those beautiful grill marks one of two ways - either on your gas or charcoal grill outside OR using a rectangular cast iron grill/griddle that sits on two burners on a gas or induction stove.
Having one of these removes the stress of worrying about the weather and makes a seasonal recipe doable year-round.
Recipe Tip: It's key to steam or bake the wedges to partially cook them before hitting grill. This way they'll be tender without getting overly charred.
Making the Salsa
When it comes to this salsa (which I can eat by the spoonful by the way) you can prep a day or two in advance and make it vegan by omitting the cheese.
The flavors and textures of the cherries, corn, red and green onion, lime and jalapeno go so amazingly well together. It would totally work as a topping for chicken, pork, fish and seafood.
While the kids go back to school Tuesday, summer still isn't technically over so let's hang on to every bit of it and all the bounty it has to offer.
Hope you give these Grilled Sweet Potato Fries & Fresh Cherry Corn Salsa a try, and have a deliciously fun and safe weekend! Cheers, friends!!
More Late Summer Recipes to add to the Menu!
Peachy Caprese Pancetta Stacks
Grilled Farmers Market Salad w/ Halloumi & Adobo Chicken
Shrimp & Chicken Skewers w/ Honey Sesame Glaze
Blueberry Thyme Galette w/ Berry Jam Swirl Ice Cream
Before you go, be sure to stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook and become part of our email community for all the latest updates!
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries and Fresh Cherry Corn Salsa
- 2 ears corn
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes , cut into ¾-inch thick wedges
- 10 ounces fresh sweet cherries , pitted and chopped
- ⅓ cup red onion , finely chopped
- ¼ cup green onions , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro , chopped plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco , crumbled, optional
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime , juiced, plus extra lime wedges for serving
- 1 jalapeno , minced plus extra slices for garnish
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil , plus extra for grill grates
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Fill a large pot with a steamer basket or pasta insert with 1 inch of water. Bring water to a boil. Place the corn in the basket. Cover and steam for 3 minutes.
- Remove corn with tongs and set on a cutting board to cool. Do not remove pot from heat.
- Add sweet potato wedges to the basket. Cover and steam 8 minutes.
- While the potatoes steam, cut kernels from the cobs and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the cherries, red onion, green onion, cilantro, queso fresco, olive oil, lime juice and jalapeno to the corn. Toss gently to combine. Set aside. (Salsa can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- After potatoes steam, place them in a large bowl. Add the vegetable oil, cumin, and paprika, and season with kosher salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat the wedges.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Or if indoors, preheat a cast iron griddle over 2 burners over medium-high heat.
- Coat grill grates with vegetable oil. Add potatoes to grill and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until tender but not falling apart.
- Place potatoes on a serving platter and spoon some of the salsa on top. Garnish with extra cilantro, sliced jalapeno and lime wedges. Pass remaining salsa separately. Enjoy!
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!
Haley Seymour says
All I can say is WOW! These look incredible!! I love the idea of having a refreshing salsa with the sweet potato fries. Not to mention - using the grill seems like a great alternative to roasting in the oven for hours on end. Thanks for the great recipe Kim!
Alexandra Shunk says
Wow Kim those grill marks are absolute perfection! I love sweet potatoes but I get bored of just baking them by their lonesome so this is going to by my next recipe without a doubt! Love the addition of cherries too! ?
Kim Peterson says
Yes perfect this time of year! Get those cherries before they're gone!
Oh my goodness I would seriously eat that whole platter of sweet potato fries and cherry corn salsa. It looks absolutely amazing! I love all of the color and fresh produce - such a gorgeous and nutritious appetizer for a party!
Kim Peterson says
Thanks Chelsey! Yes perfect game day food!!
Jas @ All that's Jas says
Oh, wow! These sweet potato fries look amazing and I'm in love with the sound of that corn and cherry salsa! I can never get those perfect grillmarks. Great job!
Kim Peterson says
Thanks Jas! It all went so well together!