Take burger night to another level with these super tasty, quick and easy Turkey Sliders topped with a creamy and crunchy Apple Rainbow Slaw. Plus, they’re perfect little bites for the big game this weekend!
I get it, not everyone is as into football as we are. But one thing we can all agree on is even if you don’t watch a single play in what should be a rather epic game, you’re downright giddy about the food. The Super Bowl is synonymous with great eats and serves as one more excuse (plus Valentine’s Day) to drift from whatever dietary resolution you made a month ago.
However, with that being said, the Turkey Sliders on their own are lean and gluten free, and the Apple Rainbow Slaw uses a lightened up blend of mayo and Greek yogurt so you can reserve those calories for more indulgent things on the buffet.😉
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Turkey Sliders with Apple Rainbow Slaw
We’ll start with the turkey burgers that are flavored with Worcestershire, Dijon, garlic, fresh sage, ground cumin, kosher salt and cayenne pepper for a little kick. But dial the heat to as you see fit! I used a blend of ground turkey that included white and dark meat, but you can also use ground turkey breast if you want extra lean.
What are some substitution options?
There are lots of ways to vary the recipe and here are some suggestions:
- Ground chicken or lamb can easily replace the turkey, or use beef if that’s what you have on hand.
- Soy sauce can replace the Worcestershire or use a combo of the two if not concerned about gluten. Also feel free to use whatever kind of mustard is residing in your fridge.
- I love the earthy combination of sage and cumin with a touch of heat from the cayenne, but rosemary, thyme, oregano, or parsley would also do the job deliciously.
- When it comes to garlic, never skimp!😄
Once you have all your ingredients thoroughly combined, form the mixture into 12 patties about 2 ½-inches in diameter. You can form the burgers a day before cooking and let them chill in the fridge. Additionally, you can set them in the freezer in a single layer and transfer them to freezer bags once frozen for up to three months.
If you froze the burgers, let them thaw completely before cooking them off. They only need about three minutes per side for seared, juicy perfection.
Making the Slaw and Slider Building
When it comes to the slaw, it really takes hardly any time at all to whip up, and can be made ahead! It’s full of crunch and strikes a delicious balance of sweetness with the apples, bitterness of the cabbage, refreshing cucumber, and slight bite from the green onion. The Apple Rainbow Slaw is a fabulous accompaniment to the Turkey Sliders and can certainly stand on its own as a side.
Once the burgers are seared and the slaw is waiting in the wings, you can get burger building! Toast up slider rolls brushed with melted butter and layer the bottom with some fresh greens so the juicy burger doesn’t make the roll soggy. After the burger is in place pile on the slaw and pour yourself a cold one. Enjoy the game, gang!
More Ideas for a Super Bowl Feeding Frenzy!
Here are appetizers, mains and desserts that can be fully made or prepped ahead so you can enjoy the game and the food!
- Hot Cheesy Crab Dip
- Buffalo BBQ Chicken Meatballs
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips w/ Avocado Lime Dip
- Roasted Chicken Verde Taquitos
- Chorizo & Potato Skewers w/ Roasted Garlic Creme
- Jalapeno Popper Football Cheese Ball by Peas & Crayons
- Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Chili
- Pulled Pork Tenderloin
- Shrimp Jambalaya
- Ancho Short Rib Tacos
- Chicken Shrimp & Sausage Stew
- Roast Beef & Cheddar Sliders by Everyday Made Fresh
- Nutella Stuffed Brownie Cupcakes
- Soft Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Mocha Midnight Crackles
- Nutty Irishman Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
- Cookies & Cream Football Cheese Ball by Capturing Parenthood
Check out more delicious Turkey Recipes
Take a culinary tour around the world with these crazy delish turkey dinners!
- Easy Three-Bean Turkey Chili
- Spicy Turkey Meatball Stew Loaded with Veggies
- Skillet Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- Turkey Bolognese Lasagna
- Ground Turkey Stir Fry (by The Girl on Bloor)
Helpful Tools in this Recipe
Turkey Sliders with Apple Rainbow Slaw
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 slider buns, toasted
- Baby lettuce for serving
Apple Rainbow Slaw
- 3 cups shredded rainbow slaw mix
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, garlic, sage, Worcestershire, mustard, cumin, salt and cayenne with your hands.
- Form the mixture into 12 2 ½-inch patties. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 6 patties to the pan and cook 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in skillet and cook the remaining patties.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with baby greens and top with Apple Rainbow Slaw.
Apple Rainbow Slaw
- Combine slaw mix, green onion, apple, cucumber, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lime zest, juice and cilantro in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!