Nutella Stuffed Brownie Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream Frosting is an unapologetic dessert you'll love well beyond St. Paddy's Day. Basically, if you like cake and brownies, you'll get the best of both worlds with these cupcakes. Plus, they're filled with everyone's favorite hazelnut chocolate spread and crowned with a hefty piping of Baileys-laced buttercream.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make these Irresistible Cupcakes
This simple and delicious cupcake recipe has all of ten ingredients, including two types of chocolate that make a rich and luscious batter. You'll start by melting the chocolate with butter in a large bowl over a pot of simmering water, like a double boiler. Once it's completely melted and smooth, eggs, sugar and vanilla are mixed in followed by the dry ingredients. Then it's just a matter of filling those muffin cups. So easy!
Key Tip: Be sure to fill the muffin cups a good three-quarters full to get that irresistible rounded dome. It will take all your might not to nibble on that warm brownie crust topping after baking.
The Nutella Filling
Let the brownie cupcakes cool a bit before cutting out wells for the Nutella filling. And try not to eat what you cut out! Sorry, but seriously. The tops of those little cones will serve as a plug for the Nutella. I found it easy to simply scoop the Nutella into a plastic sandwich bag and pipe into the wells.
How to Make the Frosting
When it comes to the frosting, it's a simple buttercream recipe flavored with a bit of cocoa and a good splash of one of my favorite liqueurs, Baileys Irish Cream. I obviously wanted to give these Nutella Stuffed Brownie Cupcakes a St. Patrick's Day spin but you can use whatever liqueur you prefer.
Once your cupcakes are filled, have fun piping away! Admittedly my piping skills can use improvement but it still tastes amazing. And, no cupcake got shortchanged. It's all good. Have a fun St. Paddy's Day! Enjoy!
More Chocolate Desserts to Try!
Nutella Stuffed Brownie Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1½ sticks), cut into small cubes
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Nutella , used when assembling
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 pound powdered sugar (4 cups), sifted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-5 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter and chocolates in a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water to create a double boiler. Don’t let the water hit the bottom of the bowl. Stir mixture until melted. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk granulated sugar into chocolate mixture.
- Add eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and slowly stir until well incorporated.
- Fill each lined cup ¾ full with batter using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon.
- Bake 22-25 minutes, rotating tin halfway through. An inserted toothpick or cake tester should come out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer tin to a wire rack to cool 10 minutes before removing the cupcakes. Place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Mix in cocoa, vanilla and 4 tablespoons Baileys.
- Add remaining 2 cups powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Mix in remaining Baileys if frosting seems thick, but you don’t want it too thin.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut a 1-inch wide and deep well into each cupcake. Reserve the removed cake.
- Spoon or pipe about 2 teaspoons of Nutella into each well.
- Trim the top portion from the removed cake pieces and place on top of the Nutella like a plug.
- Pipe or spread Baileys Buttercream Frosting on cupcakes as high as desired. Garnish with green and white sprinkles, if desired. Enjoy!
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!