Fall Spiced Mocha Lava Cakes are what chocolate lovers' dreams are made of. Slightly crisp edges with oozing centers of warm, dark chocolate laced with espresso, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
In my mind, if you're going to have dessert, go for it. No 'lightened up' substitutions going on here. This mind-blowing, chocolate bomb of flavor comes from using nearly a pound of high-quality chocolate, lots of eggs, butter and sugar. So give yourself a break once in a while. Indulge in heavenly bites today. Follow up with a kale smoothie tomorrow.
To get the cake party started, all that chocolate, butter and warm fall/winter spice melt together into a smooth, silky sheen.
Hold yourself back from licking the spatula!
The batter comes together in just a big bowl and a whisk. No need to get out the stand mixer. I love my 20-year old KitchenAid, but getting a little whisk workout never hurts.
You can see how thick the batter is. It's actually a little lumpy too, but don't let that alarm you. Another bonus to this recipe is they can be prepped the day before and bake off when ready to enjoy that ultimate 'ooze factor'. Ideal for entertaining!
In just about fifteen minutes the cakes will have these crackled tops and slightly crisp edges while ready to ooze inside.
How to Serve Lava Cakes
To serve, carefully invert them onto small plates or place them on a platter. I'm happy with a simple dusting of powdered sugar, but my crew is all about ala mode. Either way, enjoy releasing the lava and taking one magical bite after another. 🙂
Generously butter the ramekins or soufflé dishes you plan to use with room temperature butter. The last thing you want is part of that luscious cake stranded in its baking dish when they're done.
Stick to the amounts of powdered sugar and flour indicated in the recipe. The batter may seem lumpy at first but that's ok.
Resist the temptation to overbake! We were always taught to remove cakes from the oven when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Not here!! The outside should be a bit browned and crisp with a runny center. That toothpick should have batter all over it.
More Mouthwatering Desserts!
Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Nutty Irishman Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
Apple Pear Crostata with Pumpkin Caramel Sauce
Before you go, stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for all the latest updates! Cheers!!
Fall Spiced Mocha Lava Cakes
- 14 ounces semisweet chocolate , chopped
- 1 ¼ cups unsalted butter (2 ½ sticks), plus extra to butter ramekins
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Extra powdered sugar and ice cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Generously butter 6 8-ounce ramekins.
- In a medium saucepan, stir chocolate, 2 ½ sticks butter, espresso powder, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and white pepper over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks and vanilla. Whisk in powdered sugar until combined. Slowly stir in melted chocolate mixture then the flour.
- Divide batter equally among the buttered ramekins, filling almost to the top. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.)
- Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake lava cakes in preheated oven 15-17 minutes, until batter has risen above the dish and top edges are dark brown and slightly crisp. The center should still be soft and runny. Bake 18-20 minutes for refrigerated batter.
- Run a small knife around the cakes to loosen. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Hold ramekin with a potholder, gently place a small plate atop the cake, and invert onto the plate. Repeat with the remaining cakes.
- Dust cakes with powdered sugar and serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
*Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, January 2004
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!
Leave a Reply