‘Tis the season for guilty pleasures, and this Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is just too good to pass up. Can’t think of a better way to take full advantage of those over-ripened bananas!
Chocolate, espresso, and banana fuse deliciously in this ultra-moist bread. Even though a thick slice may undo everything you just accomplished in the gym, it’s worth every mouthwatering bite.
Really ripe bananas are the key to this tender bread. Dissolving instant espresso powder in melted butter brings another element of rich flavor in addition to the cocoa and chocolate chips.
Be sure not to overmix the batter after adding the dry ingredients then pour into a well buttered loaf pan. Pop in the oven and enjoy the aroma that will waft through the house.
The bread is perfectly baked when moist crumbs are attached to a toothpick or cake tester. It’ll have a nice crackled top and be super tender inside.
Thick slices are a must when it comes to serving. A dollop of whipped cream or digging in ala mode would do the trick too. Enjoy!
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
Serving suggestions to round out your brunch!
- Poached Eggs Garlicky Mushrooms and Spinach over Brioche
- Cheesy Veggie & Ham Brunch Casserole
- Sweet Potato Hash with Baked Eggs
- Strawberry Shortcake Buttermilk Waffles
- Broccoli Frittata Mushroom Muffins
Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 6 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ripe bananas, peel should have lots of dark spots, peeled and broken into chunks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with the 1 tablespoon of the softened butter.
- Place the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the butter turns a deep golden color, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the espresso powder. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and kosher salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a potato masher or large fork, mash the bananas in a large bowl until pretty smooth. Add the sugars, cooled brown butter mixture, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in two additions and stir until just combined. Don't overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 45-50 minutes.
- Let the banana bread cool on a baking rack in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the pan, then invert the bread directly to the cooling rack.
- Let the loaf cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
*Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay