Happy National Strawberries & Cream Day!! Perfect timing for these Strawberry Shortcake Buttermilk Waffles layered with fresh strawberries and dollops of maple whipped cream!
It also happens to be our daughter Elise’s 13th birthday! Someone please tell me how it’s possible that I now have two teenagers. Where in the world does time go?! It seems once they began school it really started to move at lightspeed.
In just a couple short years, Bryce will be graduating from high school and heading off to college. No one on earth will be happier than his sister. Elise gets giddy just talking about it. I have a funny feeling though she’ll quietly miss him. 🙂
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Buttermilk Waffles
When you have strawberries like this staring you in the face and nearly a full quart of buttermilk in the fridge you don’t want to go to waste, it’s time to bust out the waffle maker. Plus, it was a rainy Saturday morning just two days before Elise’s birthday with nothing on the schedule to rush out for which was a welcome rarity.
These are the remaining four waffles I had to guard over in order to have something to photograph. My gang polished off the other eight as soon as they came off the waffle iron. And mind you, I’ve only had one stolen bite off my husband’s plate at this point.
The good news is I got to delve into this stack once the shoot was a wrap. Enjoy!
Here are more brunch recipes you’re gonna love!
- Sweet Potato Hash with Baked Eggs
- Broccoli Mushroom Frittata Muffins
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Cheesy Veggie Brunch Casserole
- Poached Eggs w/ Garlicky Mushrooms & Spinach over Brioche
- Baked Zucchini Bites
Strawberry Shortcake Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk, well shaken, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- For serving: 12-14 sliced strawberries, powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat waffle maker on medium-high.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla until well combined. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and gently stir until combined but do not overmix. Fold in chopped strawberries. Let batter rest 5 minutes.
- Pour about ⅓ cup of batter into each section of the waffle maker and close the lid. Cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. (You can place waffles on a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200°F oven until all are finished.)
- While waffles cook, whip cream and maple syrup in a large bowl with a handheld mixer. Mix until soft peaks form.
- Serve waffles warm with whipped cream, sliced strawberries, and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!