This hearty Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Chili is deliciously spiced and a cinch to pull together. All goes in the slow cooker and forget about it! This is sure to become one of your go-to’s for game days and easy weeknight dinners.
It’s been cold and dreary here in Jersey the past couple days so the comfort food cravings are coming on strong. This is another of those recipes I’ve been wanting to reshoot, and the timing worked out perfectly for a set-it-and-forget-it slow cooker favorite.
How to Make Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Chili
This is truly one of those chuck it all in, turn it on, and go about your day recipes. Chopped red onion, bell pepper, garlic, and a poblano or anaheim pepper lay the groundwork for the beans, tomatoes and spices.
Anaheims and poblanos both have a thin flesh and bring mild peppery heat to the overall dish. This keeps things family friendly without sacrificing flavor. Have sliced jalapeños on the side for those who are looking for more kick.
In addition to the taco seasoning, I used a trio of chili powder, roasted cumin and paprika for more robust smoky flavor. You can always add a pinch or two of cayenne to crank up the heat. Dial the spice level to what your gang likes best!
Nestle the chicken breasts on top of the chili, cover, and let cook away until super tender. My rig gets pretty hot so I stick to the lower end of the cooking range.
Once the chicken is fall-apart tender, grab a couple forks and start shredding.
Let all that shredded chicken get happy back in the slow cooker again for a few minutes then you’re ready to get topping!
- sliced jalapeños
- sliced green onions
- diced red onion
- lime wedges
- queso fresco or cheese of choice
- cubed avocado
This Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Chili is a must-have recipe suitable for all seasons. So simple and incredibly delish! Enjoy!!
‘Tis the season for Slow Cooker and Instant Pot recipes. Check these out!
- Chicken Marsala Risotto
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Ancho Short Rib Tacos
- Root Beer Pulled Pork Tenderloin
- Pasta e Fagioli
- Chicken Mole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Shrimp Jambalaya
- Hawaiian Chicken Sloppy Joes
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Chili
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano or anaheim pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 15.5- ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5- ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28- ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ¾ lbs)
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn, thawed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Toppings: crumbled queso fresco, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges
- Place onion, bell pepper, Anaheim pepper, and garlic in a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir in beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, cumin and chili powder.
- Nestle chicken breasts on top. Cover and cook until chicken is fall-apart tender, 4-6 hours* on low.
- 15 minutes before serving, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in corn.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro. Serve with your favorite toppings or those suggested. This chili is also great the next day. Enjoy!
*Adapted from Crock-Pot Cookbook. Republished post with updated photos.