Dark Chocolate Lava Cupcakes are here just in time for Valentine’s Day! Show your gang just how much you love them with these warm, moist decadent treats with slightly crisp edges and silky dark chocolate oozing from the center. A perfect way to make the dreams of chocolate lovers in your life come true.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
It’s super easy! Nine ingredients and just fifteen minutes of your time is all it takes before popping the pan in the oven. The batter is light and fluffy and becomes super moist when baked, especially with a little surprise inside.
What is the Best Chocolate to Use?
I chopped a couple bars of Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate for the batter, which gets melted with butter. But if you’d rather not chop, chocolate chips can be substituted. However, you’ll still need a four-ounce bar to cut in large pieces to create the gooey center. We love, love, love dark chocolate around here, but if your gang isn’t a fan, milk chocolate will work just fine.
The batter’s pillowy consistency comes from whipping eggs, sugar and vanilla together for a good five minutes until doubled in volume. You can melt the chocolate and butter together while your stand mixer is doing the work. Once the batter is done, I find it so easy to use an ice cream scoop to help evenly distribute it without making a colossal mess.
Next, you’ll push the large pieces of chocolate down into the middle of each cupcake. I also added pink candy melts in some of them for a little Valentine’s Day flare. You can use any smooth melting candy you like and customize the cupcakes based on the occasion.
Once the chocolate surprises are buried into the cupcake, smooth the tops and they’re ready for the oven.
In just about 25-30 minutes, you’ll have perfectly crackled and crisp tops with moist, luscious cake lying underneath. I know you’re going to want to peel off that paper liner at first whiff, but restrain yourself for a few minutes to avoid getting burned.
After these Dark Chocolate Lava Cupcakes have cooled a little, dust them with powdered sugar, cocoa, and festive sprinkles as you like. Then break one open and let the delicious lava flow!
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!! Hope your day and weekend are full of amazing food and special splurges! xx, Kim
More Sweet Treats for Valentine’s Day!
Dark Chocolate Lava Cupcakes
- Stand mixer
- Standard muffin tin
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, cut into 12 large pieces
- Pink chocolate candy melts (optional)
- Powdered sugar, cocoa powder and sprinkles decorating
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a standard cupcake/muffin pan with paper liners.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a 3-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.
- Combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment and blend at medium-high speed for 5-6 minutes until pale and doubled in volume.
- Decrease mixer speed to a low setting and slowly pour in the chocolate mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl in two additions. Mix on low speed just until combined.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold any remaining flour on the sides of the bowl into the batter.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cups of the cupcake pan.
- Push one piece of the extra dark chocolate and pink chocolate (optional) into the middle of each cake and smooth the surfaces.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cakes are set and feel firm to touch.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack until just warm.
- Dust with powdered sugar, cocoa powder and sprinkles as desired. Enjoy!
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!