This super delish Hot Cheesy Crab Dip loaded with lump crab meat and three cheeses is totally addictive. Plus, it's ready in just 30 minutes making it perfect for game days and entertaining! It's actually a year-round staple that gets devoured in no time. Regardless of the season or occasion, you'll love having this quick and easy, go-to recipe in your back pocket that's totally adaptable to what's in the fridge.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
Here's a brief rundown of the main components and suggestions on what to substitute.
- Crab - I use Phillips Jumbo Lump Crab but you can also use fresh or canned crab meat. Plus, you can even make this dip using shrimp or lobster.
- Cheese - Smooth melting cheeses are the way to go, and I combined cream cheese with fontina and parmesan. Gruyere, cheddar, swiss, gouda and havarti are excellent choices as well.
- Veggies - There are no boundaries here so use what your gang likes most. I went with a simple combo of green onion and red bell pepper with a jalapeno and fresh garlic for a little zing. Artichokes and sauteed spinach or mushrooms would be really delish but my kids aren't fans so I left them out this time around.
- Binders and Flavor - I added a little mayo to help keep the dip smooth (sour cream works too) and added extra flavor with a bit of Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and fresh parsley. Feel free to add a few dashes of hot sauce for some kick if you prefer.
Once you have your all-star list of ingredients together, mix them without the crab meat until well combined then fold in the crab at the end. This ensures those succulent hunks remain intact as much as possible. Then transfer the mixture into your baking vehicle of choice. I love using cast iron but you can use any ovenproof skillet or medium casserole dish as well.
After baking for just about 15 minutes, you'll have a bubbly golden, mouthwatering crab dip just waiting to win over your gang. Pop open your favorite bevvy and dig in. Hope you enjoy! Cheers!!
More Crab Recipes to Try!
Hot Cheesy Crab Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups shredded fontina or white cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Dash of hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 pound lump crab meat, picked over, removing any cartilage
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl except the crab meat and ½ cup fontina.
- With a handheld mixer, blend until well combined.
- Gently fold in crab meat.
- Evenly spread mixture in a lightly greased, 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet, or 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining fontina and some extra parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. Switch oven to broiler on high, and broil 2-3 minutes until top is slightly browned and bubbly. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn!
- Garnish dip with sliced green onion and serve with crostini, crackers or pita chips. Enjoy!
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!