BLT Salmon Burgers with creamy avocado crema! Easy, delicious and tender fresh salmon burgers seared to perfection and topped with crispy bacon, lettuce, tomato and a creamy, tangy, mayo-free aioli. These super tasty and healthy patties will take your summer burger game to a whole new level.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
We've always been fans of Costco frozen salmon burgers but I must say making your own is a totally different ball game in terms of having control on tasty flavor and texture. Homemade burgers are hands down way more tender than their packaged counterparts and will deliver all the spice you infuse within them without solely relying on toppings.
Steps to Make the Burgers & Aioli
This is really such an easy salmon burger recipe. All you have to do is cut the salmon into chunks and let the food processor do the rest of the work. However, if you're into chopping the salmon on your own that works too. But I found it easiest to let the processor do the heavy lifting in terms of getting the salmon the right consistency.
When the pulsed salmon resembles ground chicken or turkey you're in good shape. Then it's just a matter of adding spices, Dijon mustard, a dash of Worcestershire, grated parmesan and panko breadcrumbs to give the burgers some body.
Smoked paprika, thyme, garlic and onion powder deliciously enhanced the flavor without overpowering the fish. Form the patties to about ¾-inch thick and 5-6 ounces each.
An extra sprinkle of kosher salt and black pepper on each side will give the burgers a nice crust when searing.
How do you know when they're done?
Heat some oil in a cast iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When ready cook the burgers about four minutes per side until golden brown on the outside and just opaque in the center. Adjust the time accordingly based on the burgers thickness. Super easy!
Making the Crema
Before we start assembling our fabulous salmon burger sandwiches, let me spend a moment on this mayo-free, Greek yogurt-based aioli starring avocado and chives.
It takes no time at all to whip up this flavorful topping in a high-powered blender or food processor.
Plus, it will keep in the fridge up to five days and seriously can't think of anything savory that I wouldn't want a dollop of this on.
Now that you have perfectly seared salmon patties, creamy whipped aioli and toasted buns of choice, it's time to doctor up these beauties to mouthwatering perfection.
The BLT of these Salmon Burgers is the traditional definition of crispy, thick-cut bacon, fresh romaine lettuce (from our garden nonetheless!) and ripe tomatoes.
But here are other additions I included plus more suggestions to satisfy every taste bud. Hope you enjoy!
- sliced avocado
- farm fresh microgreens
- thinly sliced red or green onion
- caramelized onions
- grilled pineapple slices
- Asian Red Cabbage Slaw (or slaw of choice)
- pickles (and any pickled veg)
Salmon Burger FAQs & Tips
The options are endless but some of our seasonal summer favorites include Grilled Cantaloupe Black Bean Salad, Sweet Potato Fries w/ Cherry Corn Salsa, Greek Panzanella Salad and Peachy Caprese Pancetta Stacks.
Yes to both! Salmon burgers can be baked at 400 degrees F on an oiled, rimmed baking sheet for about 15 minutes flipping them once halfway through. When grilling be sure to use grill mats as the burger is more on the delicate side. Grill over medium-high heat 4 minutes per side.
They most certainly can! Salmon patties can be formed 1 day ahead of cooking, or wrap them individually in plastic wrap, place in a resealable freezer bag and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw completely before cooking as instructed in the recipe.
More Salmon Recipes to Try
More Burger Recipes!
BLT Salmon Burgers with Avocado Crema
- 1 ½ pounds salmon filet , skin removed and cut into chunks
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder and smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon each dried thyme and onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Toasted buns of choice
- ½ pound bacon , cooked
- Fresh romaine or butter lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomatoes and avocado
- 1 avocado , pitted and cubed
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh chives , chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or basil , chopped
- 1 lemon and 1 lime , zest and juice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Add the salmon to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until it is finely chopped and similar in texture to ground turkey or chicken. Also, you can chop the salmon finely with a sharp knife if you prefer.
- Transfer ground salmon into a medium bowl. Add breadcrumbs, parmesan, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic powder, paprika, thyme and onion powder. Sprinkle with salt to taste, and mix with spatula or your hands until well combined.
- Form mixture evenly into 5 patties (about 5-6 ounces each).
- Season each side of burgers with kosher salt and black ground pepper. (Can be prepped 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook burgers on each side until golden and cooked almost through, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- To serve, spread the Avocado Chive Aioli on inside of the buns, place lettuce and avocado slices on the bottom half of bun, top with a salmon burger, then place bacon, tomato and microgreens over salmon. Place top half of bun with schmeared aioli on decorated burger. Enjoy!
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Makes a little over 1 cup. Can be made 5 days ahead. Keep in airtight container and refrigerated.