This Asian Red Cabbage Slaw stands out with its brilliant purple hue and accents of carrot, green onion, cilantro, and with a subtle flare of diced poblano and jalapeño peppers. Chop some roasted cashews for a little extra salty crunch!
Originally, this post was among my earliest. And, let’s just say that while I have plenty more to learn when it comes to food photography, I’ve made some strides since those nascent posts.
So this is republished with updated photos to give the post new life, and remind you of this super tasty year-round side dish that will bring a vibrant pop of color to any gathering or holiday buffet.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Asian Red Cabbage Slaw
Red cabbage truly knows no season as it is available throughout the year. It’s flavor is far more bold and peppery compared to green cabbage. Plus, red cabbage lacks water weight, which makes its leaves chewier and coarser than other cabbage varieties.
This slaw is full of colorful crunch that will glisten once dressed. The only thing that takes a little time in pulling it all together is the chopping.
You can make that even easier on yourself if pressed for time by heading over to the ‘already prepped and chopped’ section of the produce department.
Now all those chopped veggies and nuts need is a toss with the dressing. Vegetable oil is blended with the usual suspects often seen in Asian cuisine: rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, and (love, love, love) freshly grated ginger.
You can freeze those knuckley ginger roots when only using a portion. They actually grate more easily when frozen!
What to Serve Asian Red Cabbage Slaw with:
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork Tenderloin
- Marinated Ahi Tuna Tacos
- Slow Cooker Ancho Short Rib Tacos
- Hawaiian Chicken Sloppy Joes
- Sheet Pan Roasted Salmon
I hope you enjoy!
More delicious year-round side dishes to keep in mind!
- Balsamic Roasted Green Vegetables
- Baby Potato & Green Bean Salad
- Roasted Chickpeas Salad with Avocado & Feta
- Sweet Potato Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- Mushroom Stuffed Portobellos with Arugula & Feta
- Slow Cooker Soda Baked Beans
Essential Kitchen Tools
Asian Red Cabbage Slaw
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ head red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (about ¾ cup)
- 2 carrots, shredded (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium poblano pepper, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 jalapeño, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- ¼ cup roasted cashews, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. (Can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.)
- In a large bowl, toss together first 7 ingredients. Mix in dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with additional chopped cashews and cilantro, if desired.
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!
*Recipe adapted from several sources. Republished post with updated photos.