This super flavorful Thai Red Curry Shrimp is loaded with shallots, zucchini, and peppers bathed in a coconut, ginger, garlicky red curry sauce. The fluffy bed of jasmine rice ensures you don't miss a drop!
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
What is Thai curry paste made of?
Green and red are the most common curry pastes in Thailand. Green chilies for one, red chili peppers for the other. Garlic, lemongrass, Thai ginger, sea salt, shallot, turmeric and kaffir lime are blended in to create a rich, unique flavor. You can always add cayenne or crushed red pepper if you like a little more zing.
To start this awesome dish, sauté large shrimp just until they're a bit opaque in the center. Remove the shrimp and keep warm under a tent of foil. The chopped veggies get fired up next. Use a high-rimmed sauté pan if you can. It gets pretty full by the end.
Once the veggies caramelize a bit, garlic, ginger, curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime zest and juice all come together as one.
TIP: It's best to have all the ingredients measured out and ready to go when called upon quickly.
You'll simmer the sauce a bit to thicken, then add the shrimp back to the pan along with lots of cilantro and basil. The steamy aroma will give you a yummy, shrimp curry facial!
Tender, delicate grains of jasmine rice are there to absorb the luscious sauce and pair perfectly with the plump, curried shrimp. Enjoy!
+ More Delicious Shrimp Recipes!
Thai Red Curry Shrimp with Jasmine Rice
- 3 tablespoon olive oil , divided
- 2 pounds large shrimp (21-25 count), cleaned, deveined, tails removed
- 1 cup shallots , chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper , diced
- 1 cup zucchini , diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger , freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 limes , zest and juice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro , chopped, plus extra for garnish
- ⅓ cup fresh basil , chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups cooked jasmine rice
- Lime wedges and sliced green onions, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in high-rimmed, large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper, and add to the pan. Cook until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a medium bowl. Cover with foil to keep warm. Ditch oil and wipe pan with a paper towel.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in same pan over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, bell pepper, and zucchini. Sauté until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute. Stir in curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime zest and juice, and crushed red pepper flakes. Simmer gently, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp to curry sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes to heat through. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in cilantro and basil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon over cooked rice.
- Garnish with extra cilantro, basil, lime wedges, and sliced green onions. Enjoy!
*Generously adapted from Bon Appétit, April 2011
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!