Buttery Pantry Pasta with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes needs just some simple veggies, butter, a hunk of parm, and a few things from the pantry. An easy and delicious pasta dinner is just 30 minutes away. Amen! Love pantry staple recipes that are so easily customizable.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Easy Pasta Dinners
This recipe was inspired while on the treadmill watching Giada put together one of her pasta creations. By the time I put this Buttery Pantry Pasta together, we maybe had four ingredients in common. That just goes to show the pasta-bilities are endless.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
My daughter loves any twirling pasta so linguine won out this time around. I had plenty of mushrooms and baby greens on hand, and combined them with shallots and garlic. You can use other fresh veg like zucchini, eggplant, asparagus and peppers, and even crack open a can of mushrooms or artichokes if they're hanging out in the pantry. I'm a huge fan of sun-dried tomatoes but realize they're not everyone's gig so feel free to omit or sub olives or capers for added flavor. I also tossed in a handful of pistachios for some crunch. Toasted walnuts, pecans, cashews or pine nuts would also be delish. Basically, adapt as you see fit!
It takes just about the same amount of time for the water to come to a boil and for the pasta to cook as it does to make the veggie-loaded sauce.
TIP: Cook the pasta a minute less than what the package instructions suggest. There will be carry-over cooking when the two are married together.
Broth, wine and butter are the main sauce components to coat the vegetables and pasta and give them that glossy sheen. Toss some fresh herbs in if you have them, and generously sprinkle on the parm. Hope you're finding delicious ways to quarantine and stay healthy! Hugs, Kim
More Pantry-Friendly Recipes you may like...
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Skillet
Vodka Rigatoni w/ Smoked Sausage & Peas
Cheesy Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Chili
Before you go, stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. And subscribe above to join our email community for all the latest updates!
Buttery Pantry Pasta with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 12 ounces linguine or pasta of choice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, or button), cut into ¼-inch slices
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup shallots or red onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil , drained and thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup sweet sherry wine (or dry white wine)
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups baby spinach or mixed greens
- ¼ cup roasted salted pistachios , coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan , plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or thyme , chopped, plus more for garnish
- Bring a large stock pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a generous amount of kosher salt to boiling water and cook pasta al dente according to package instructions. Drain and reserve ½ cup of pasta liquid.
- Meanwhile as pasta cooks, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until starting to soften and brown, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add shallots and cook 3 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Deglaze skillet with the wine and simmer until almost reduced, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and melt in butter one tablespoon at a time, stirring frequently. Let mixture simmer to emulsify and thicken slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium-low and wilt in baby greens or spinach.
- Remove skillet from heat and add cooked pasta. Add some of the reserved pasta liquid if needed.
- Stir in pistachios, Parmesan, and fresh herbs.
- Serve hot with extra parm and fresh herbs, as desired. Enjoy!
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!
Made this tonight and loved it. Didn’t have pistachios but used everything else. Easily could’ve doubled the mushrooms - we are huge mushroom fans. Will definitely make again!
Kim Peterson says
That's awesome, so love mushrooms! Thrilled it was a hit! 🙂
Veronica Galarza says
We really enjoyed this recipe. It was delicious. I added yellow squash since I had it at hand. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you!
Kim Peterson says
Awesome! Thrilled you enjoyed it! That's what's so great about pasta recipes, toss in whatever you have. 🙂
Ben | Havocinthekitchen says
What are you doing Kim? I was going to make a healthy and light salad tomorrow, but I cannot stop staring at and thinking of this pasta. Being a huge fan of sun-dried tomatoes, I always have a few jars. Also, I realized we have a box of mushrooms hanging in the fridge for a while (I need to save them!)...or well, forget about salad - I am making this instead! Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂
Kim Peterson says
Lol! Thanks Ben! Yes, that salad can wait!😉