Happy weekend, gang! Just wanted to remind you guys of these Roasted Chicken Verde Taquitos as you plan your Super Bowl menu! Tender rotisserie chicken, bubbling Mexican cheese, poblano pepper, green onion, corn, and spices come together with a super easy and flavorful Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Homemade Salsa Verde & Taquitos
Once you make your own taquitos, you’ll walk right by those frozen boxes in the the grocery store. They’re must-have snacks that are freezer-friendly so you’ll always have them on hand. Also, you can certainly buy the jarred stuff, but what will make your taquitos stand out above the rest is this simple, homemade salsa verde. Roasting the tomatillos, peppers, onion, and garlic bring out natural caramelized sugars to balance the heat. The beauty of this, too, is it can be made days in advance and even frozen.
When it comes to the tortillas, I’ll use a variety. The kids prefer flour, but I like the flour/corn blend and gluten-free almond flour tortillas the best. The cassava/coconut flour ones were just okay in our opinion. But by all means use what your gang likes most.
The filling is a just a one-bowl mixture that’s a cinch to combine. I’ve found straight up corn tortillas to be the most challenging to work with. They tend to crack whereas the ones mentioned above hold their shape better.
Once rolled up, you can either freeze them or pop ’em right in the oven for about 15 minutes, then watch your gang make them disappear. These Roasted Chicken Verde Taquitos are perfect for game day snacking and whenever there’s a craving. Cheers, friends! xx, Kim
More Delish Snacking Recipes to Try!
Roasted Chicken Verde Taquitos
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup salsa verde, plus more when serving (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup poblano pepper, diced
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 16 6-inch flour or corn tortillas*
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish: crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer mix together the cream cheese, shredded cheese, salsa verde, yogurt, poblano pepper, green onions, cilantro, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, lime zest and juice until well combined.
- Fold in chicken and corn. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill each tortilla with about 3 heaping tablespoons of chicken filling, and roll up.
- Place the taquitos seam side down on prepared baking sheet and spray them with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Taquitos can be frozen at this point. Freeze in a single layer on baking sheet then place in a plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw before baking.)
- Bake 15 minutes in preheated oven or until the tortillas are lightly browned and cheese is bubbling at the ends.
- Serve hot with extra salsa verde and suggested garnishes as desired.
*Republished post with updated photos.
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!