Taking an iconic summer treat to a new level with this Grilled Yellow Watermelon and Cucumber Cantaloupe Salsa! It’s a healthy, refreshing, sweet n’ smoky recipe you can serve as a side or appetizer. Just a few minutes on the grill concentrates the watermelon’s honey-like flavor and makes its color even more vibrant. And the cucumber-cantaloupe combination in the sweet n’ spicy salsa is a perfect complement. Plus it’s vegan, keto-friendly and gluten-free!
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Grilled Yellow Watermelon and Cucumber Cantaloupe Salsa
First, you may be wondering if red watermelon can be used in place of yellow. The answer is you bet. Second, you may be wondering what makes watermelon yellow. Well, the reason is the absence of the antioxidant lycopene, which gives red watermelons, and tomatoes for that matter, their color. As far as taste is concerned, my clan and I found the yellow to be a little mellower with a denser texture than red and equally delicious. And to be honest, this is the first time we ever had it thanks to last week’s CSA haul.
Now let’s fire up the grill! But before placing those thick wedges on the grates, coat them well with vegetable oil and sprinkle on some s&p. I tossed the lime halves on the grill too to use in the salsa. However, if you want to make the salsa in advance you don’t have to grill the limes. This bright salsa is definitely a scrumptious alternative to their tomato counterparts and one you’ll love having on hand to put on chicken and fish, or simply have with chips.
It literally just takes 2-3 minutes per side to get those tasty, charred grate marks without the watermelon turning into mush. Luckily our neighbors were around when I was done shooting to help us polish off the platter. Believe me, these golden beauties won’t last long.😉 Let’s hang on to a delicious summer, friends! Cheers!! xx, Kim
More Summer Recipes!
Take advantage of late summer’s bounty with recipes that will have your gang coming back for more.
- Summer Crostini Five Ways
- Roasted Corn & Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho
- Grilled Shrimp & Peach Salad w/ Burrata and Basil
- Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta Chesse Board
- Farmers Market Salad w/ Adobo Chicken & Halloumi
- Grilled Cantaloupe & Black Bean Salad
- Heirloom Tomato & Goat Cheese Flatbread
Essential Tools Used
Grilled Yellow Watermelon with Cucumber Cantaloupe Salsa
- 12 yellow watermelon slices ¾-inch thick (can also use red)
- 2 limes, halved, plus extra lime wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cantaloupe, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon each fresh basil and parsley, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat grill over medium-high heat.
- Place watermelon wedges and lime halves on a large, parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush vegetable oil on both sides of watermelon and cut side of limes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill watermelon 2-3 minutes on each side until charred but not soft. Grill limes cut-side down for 3 minutes. When done place watermelon and limes back on baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, cantaloupe, red onion, jalapeno, basil, parsley and olive oil.
- Squeeze the juice of grilled limes over the salsa. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange watermelon wedges on a large platter.
- Spoon salsa over top.
- Garnish platter with extra lime wedges and fresh herbs.
- Serve with remaining salsa on the side. Enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This page contains affiliate links. Meaning, whenever you purchase an item after clicking an Amazon link through this website, we receive a small percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you! It simply helps maintain the blog. Thanks so much!