Yes, we are back to the crock-pot my friends, and for good reason. This Slow Cooker Thai Beef Stew is a must-have recipe. The beef becomes forever tender as it steeps in a Thai red curry and creamy coconut milk broth. Crisp green beans, leafy baby spinach, fresh cilantro and parsley bring it full circle.
Remember to PIN THIS to save the recipe for later!
There are some major flavors taking hold in this dish that will put your crowd on their knees begging for seconds. Thai red curry paste, fish sauce, onion and garlic balance the creamy coconut milk and crunchy water chestnuts. Combined with seasoned lean beef, green beans and spinach, sets the stage for an awesome game day, or any day comfort food dinner.
When lean stew meat is cubed, you don't have to cook it for hours on end. Four to maybe five will do the trick depending on your rig. Slow cooking a pork butt or a large pot roast will fall in the 8-10 hour range. Not cubes of lean beef. Toss in the green beans and water chestnuts for the last half hour or so and you'll be right on track.
Let the spinach wilt in by the handful, and stir in lots of cilantro and parsley just before serving. I'm already tasting it!
Ladle the stew over Asian noodles, or rice to keep things gluten free. Such a warm-your-soul dish. Hope your gang loves it as much as ours. Enjoy!
Here are More Great Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Recipes!
- Ancho Short Rib Tacos
- Pulled Pork Tenderloin
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Shrimp Jambalaya
- Hawaiian Chicken Sloppy Joes
Slow Cooker Thai Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat , cubed
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 large onion , sliced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- ¼ cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk , well-shaken
- 8 ounces French green beans , halved crosswise
- 8 ounce can water chestnuts , drained and roughly chopped
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro , loosely packed
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley , loosely packed
- 1 lime , juice and zest
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Cook the beef in 2 batches if needed; don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Transfer beef to 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add stock, onion, garlic, curry paste, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Gently stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, 4-5 hours.
- Add coconut milk, green beans, and water chestnuts to slow cooker. Cover and cook 30 minutes, or until the green beans are tender.
- Turn off the heat, and add the spinach by the handful allowing each addition to wilt before adding more.
- Stir in the cilantro, parsley, lime juice, and zest. Serve the curry over Asian noodles or rice to keep the dish gluten free. Garnish with extra cilantro and parsley, if desired.
* Adapted from Cooking Light, October 2017