No plates required with this gooey, brownie-like Double Chocolate Cashew Cookie. It’s best served warm right from the skillet with a big dollop of ice cream. Hand out spoons and dig in.
Dark chocolate and cashews are the sweet and salty dynamic duo in this mouthwatering treat. We’re blessed with a double whammy from each, chopped chocolate and cocoa along with chopped cashews and creamy cashew butter. Baking in a cast iron skillet or other heavy-duty, ovenproof pan (not non-stick) perfectly crisps the edges while the center stays irresistibly moist and fudgy.
The cookie dough comes together the old-fashioned way by blending softened butter, white and brown sugar, with an egg and vanilla extract. Next, mix in the dry ingredients, chocolate pieces, and cashews. Evenly spread the dough in the skillet, dollop with cashew butter, and you’re a little over a half hour away from cookie nirvana.
You want the top to crackle and the middle to look somewhat undone. Really moist, but not wet, crumbs should cling to a toothpick when inserted in the center. Also, expect the middle to settle as it cools. The skillet is screaming hot when taken out of the oven so give it 10-15 minutes before going to town. Resisting temptation is the hardest part! When ready, pile on your favorite ice cream and watch your gang go wild. Enjoy!
Double Chocolate Cashew Cookie
- ⅓ cup cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cashews, divided
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine the cashew butter and powdered sugar. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until pale and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions on low speed until fully incorporated, but do not over mix. Fold in the chopped chocolate and 2 tablespoons of the chopped cashews. Evenly spread dough in prepared skillet. Dollop cashew butter on top of cookie dough, and spread with tip of a spatula. Sprinkle remaining cashew pieces on top. Bake 35-40 minutes until an inserted toothpick in the center of the cookie has moist crumbs attached and top is crackled. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
*Adapted from Fine Cooking April/May 2017