This Warm Bread Bowl Crab Dip sets itself apart combining three cheeses with sherry wine, shallots, fresh herbs, spices, horseradish and dijon, and oh yes, jumbo lumps of crab! Plus, you can make it in advance!
This dip is perfect for entertaining, game days, potlucks, and whenever there’s a craving. The list of ingredients may seem long at first glance, but this delicious dip comes together in one bowl in a snap. Basically, everything except the crabmeat and a bit of cheese gets whipped until super creamy and fluffy. Next you gently fold in the crab so those succulent lumps don’t fall apart. That’s it! You’re ready to fill your bread bowl.
Try to find a really large round loaf of sourdough or Italian bread. Make sure the crab mixture gets tucked into the edges of your hollowed out loaf. The filling is thick so it’s okay if it mounds in the center. Sprinkle with your reserved cheese and pop in the oven to get happy along with the bread cubes.
In just twenty minutes, you’ll be ready to break into that cheesy covering to scoop up hunks of creamy crab awesomeness. Enjoy!
- 1 large round loaf of sourdough or Italian bread
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded fontina or white cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Dash of hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over, removing any cartilage
- Olive oil for drizzling on bread cubes
- Bell peppers, sliced into strips
- Baby carrots
- Celery sticks
- Toasted bread cubes
Cut off top quarter of bread and hollow out the loaf, leaving a ½-inch rim all around. Cut the removed bread into cubes. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except the crabmeat and ¼ cup fontina and ¼ cup parmesan until well combined. Gently fold in crab. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) When ready to bake, place hollowed bread on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Fill bread with crab mixture and sprinkle top with remaining ¼ cup of fontina and ¼ cup of parmesan. Place bread cubes around the loaf and drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until dip is heated through and bread has browned. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Serve warm with bell pepper slices, baby carrots, celery sticks, crackers, and toasted bread cubes.