Lighten up the traditional beef version with this quick and easy Healthy Turkey Chili. It’s packed with flavor, protein and fiber, and ready in less than an hour. This one-pot meal is a true weekend crowd pleaser that’s simple enough to serve during the week, and is even better made ahead!
A One-Pot Wonder
This large batch easily serves 8. Even if your gang isn’t coming over, you can either halve the recipe, or freeze leftovers in portions. Chili, many soups, and stews freeze beautifully. I start with lean white ground turkey, but feel free to use ground dark meat, or combine the two. The trio of beans varies the flavor and visual appeal. Plenty of chili powder, cumin and black pepper build a rich flavor that’s kicked up with green chiles and jalapeño.
Once everything begins to simmer in a large cast iron pot or stock pot, I like adding the cob I had cut the corn from. In late summer, I cut kernels off a few dozen ears to freeze and use throughout winter, and freeze several cobs as well. They add a subtle background note of that sweet corn flavor. All bonus.
When ready to serve, have a DIY chili bar set up with your favorite shredded cheese, sliced green onions, diced red onion, avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges. Enjoy! If you’re looking for more healthy one-pot wonders, check out our hearty and super flavorful sherried Black Bean Sweet Potato Stew and One Pot Clambake. Cheers!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced, seeded and ribs removed (optional)
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 15- ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 14.5- ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice, do not drain
- 1 6- ounce can tomato paste
- 1 4- ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups fresh corn or frozen kernels, thawed
- 1 corn cob, kernels removed (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toppings: grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese, sliced green onions, diced red onion, avocado, fresh cilantro or parsley, squeeze of fresh lime
Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven or stock pot. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and sauté over medium heat stirring occasionally until soft and translucent, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook 1-2 minutes more, stirring frequently. Add ground turkey and break up large pieces with a wooden spoon. Brown turkey 7-8 minutes, stirring often. Stir spices into pot and cook an additional minute until fragrant. Next stir in beans, tomatoes in juice, tomato paste, green chiles, broth, and wine. Nestle in corn cob and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and let simmer 5 minutes to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool, cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat.)
Discard corn cob before serving. Top with above suggestions, as desired. Devour bowl. Repeat.